Youngsters among you are also going to be affected from the shape of things to come. You love your parents , you can help, how ?
The latest census figures shows the number of people over 60 to touch the 10 crore (100 million) mark and will double by year 2030. Those days are gone when parents could expect support from their children. Consider, yourself lucky, if you can have a joint family. Indifferences, callousness, cruelty to elders are on the increase. Many children, even if they want to are unable to look after their parents, due to job compulsion, financial constraint or geographic location.
To deal with the situation we have to improve the health facility, shelter for senior citizens, geriatric care methods, professionals and so on.
A retirement means, there is no more deadlines, no boss (in office, not at home), no traffic, sleep when you want, get up whenever you decide, go wherever you want, freedom to do what you want and whenever you want. All of a sudden time is yours, you are full of leisure time.
You are not the first one to retire, there have been many before you. You suddenly start missing the routines of your work life. Accomplishments, satisfaction, challenges all gone, no purpose and you start feeling an emptiness. No coffee times with your colleagues, no management bashings, no client calls, no greetings, and nowhere in particular to go. Suddenly you realize a leisure time is attractive when you have work, a time to relieve your stress. Now with out work the leisure time becomes a stress. Sleeping, relaxing, reading newspapers, loafing and TV is an idler’s life. The idleness and uselessness causes a rapid decline in physical and mental health
All retirement plans consists of only one element and that’s finance. You may have had many advisors telling you how to save money for your retirement. No body tells you how to enjoy retirement life.
Relax and enjoy your retirement. Thanks, you retired from your full time employment to do things you want to do, the way you want to, and when you want to , which you could never do. Earlier, time was not yours, now it is yours. But you will not have any one to blame.
Earlier you had to earn to live and save. Now you can let go of the savings component and offer your service at a discount. One more, never stop learning…
Ask yourself :
- Am I in control of my lifestyle ? (No ?, Why not)
- What can I achieve in my retirement that would make me proud ? (plenty, think about it, you can)
- Do I have enough great friends in my life ? (make a list of them, it is fun)
- Do I devote sufficient time to meet my close friends ? (whats stopping you, make an association)
- DO I watch too much TV ?(Reduce, avoid addiction)
- Do my life style compliments my partners ? (Talk with the family members and learn what changes in behavior can keep the environment cordial)
- D0 I travel as much as I would like ? (not a necessity)
- Do my time commitments allow me to indulge in creative endeavours ? ( Schedule the day, it is your time)
- Am I developing spiritually as a human being ? (Look into it, if you have never, it has nothing to do anything with religion)
- Do I exercise enough, in my own enjoyable way ?(Don’t try for six packs, walk and few gentle ones will do)
- Do I complain too much ? (Stop reacting and start responding, if the power goes light a candle)
- Am I grateful as I should be or what I have in my life ? (be grateful, you have enough, otherwise you would not be reading this)
- Am I continually learning something new ? (answer should be yes))
- Do I do something special for myself each and every day ? (Keep asking what did you do for the first time, today)
- DO I take enough time to meditate and keep my mind in tip top shape ? (half an hour close your eyes and observe your breathing, never mind where the mind goes)
- Am I living in the right country or right part of the country ? (well, you have a choice)
- What will make me feel better ? (Do it)
- Do I have everything I need to be happy , but don’t realize it ? (We all have enough or what we have is enough)
A few cool activities that can be part of your daily routine
Time with grand children
Newspaper (Sudoku, crossword, jumble word)
A few activities you can consider for your occupation (monetisable) for the rest of your life
Writing (blog, book, newpaers, magazines)
Social media (facebook, twitter, Linkedin)
Healing (alternate medicines like acupressure, pranic healing)
Music (vocal/instruments – you can start learning now
Give back from your experience and learnings
Teaching School/College students (part time, tuitions)
Get into social groups, NGO,
Build houses for others
Consultancy (your filed of expertise)
Learn a new language, sign language (you can be an interpreter, trainer)
Be a guide, mentor, coach
Be a travel guide (why not)
Learn golf/chess/bridge or any stimulating card game/tennis or any game
Take up agency like finance products of LIC/ICICI/ HDFC, health products
Play safe in stock market
Do a correspondence course in some subject of your interest (age no bar, avoid bars)
Become an entrepreneur
Join toastmaster club
Any body wants to add to the list, please do. A retirement life can be of 30 to 40+ years duration, so plan seriously and enjoy.